Saturday, February 20, 2010

My heart strangely warmed.

I always wonder about John Wesley. You know, the dude who founded the Methodist church and started the movement because during a prayer meeting his heart was "strangely warmed."

What does that mean? I feel like I have had my heart warmed about 4,000 times. Does that mean I was supposed to start something great or move in a direction worthy of my heart warmth every single time? I am wrestling with this thought today.

I had breakfast with a dear friend this morning whom I haven't seen in about 2 years. We had a great conversation about where we are now and where we have seen God in our lives in the last two years. The answer was very clear: He has been seen a lot. He clearly is not Waldo. It was very easy to spot Him in both our lives.

It felt good to just catch up with her and enjoy the company of someone who you used to have a great friendship with but time and events just separated. At the end of our breakfast she asked if she could pray for us and for me and I accepted. Her prayer was for me to be blessed and for my focus to never change off of God in everything I do.

My heart was strangely warmed. I felt humbled and convicted. I felt reminded. The conversation went full circle. I was forced to remember all the times God has tremendously blessed me, through the good times and the bad, and then was brought to the throne of God to continue to have my eyes directed at Him and not ay myself.

I see that I have two choices at this point. I could say "Aw, that's nice. Yeah I totally want to do that." And later just move on back to reality of what I do and focus on. Or I could realize that my heart was warmed, moved to compassion or conviction, whatever your choice word is for warmth, and move into something beautiful and great that sits at my feet every time I am allowed to remember and am warmed: the intimacy of God, the call to be a co-laborer with Him and the choice to let Him redirect me.

I had a warm moment this morning... and no, not the kind where I didn't make it to the bathroom. I realized that John Wesley's heart was warmed... and instead of just feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, he took it for what it probably was: a prompting from God to be and do something great for Him.

Just another day in the life... just another moment to remember I will never have it all figured out and I am glad for that.

No comments: